Let’s face it. Most boys despise handwriting exercises. “That’s girly stuff.” Even my husband thinks so and his handwriting is perfectly sloppy. I have noticed that he winces when I say so and even caught him at times trying to write neater for me. (Ah, the joys of married bliss.) My father has beautiful handwriting and I can’t imagine why boys think they are exempt from attaining this goal. This “girly”mentality doesn’t satisfy me as a mother of four boys. So here are a few tactics I’m going to employ in the battle for manly handwriting this year.
- Writing builds muscles in the hand. EVERY boy wants strong muscles!
- Strong disciplined hands can win tug of war battles.
- Lewis & Clark – the great explorers of the Louisiana Territory kept a journal. On UNLINED paper and we can still read it today.
- Abraham Lincoln’s handwriting was nice AND legible.
- Someday you may be hanging from a cliff by your fingers and you’ll have your Mom to thank for all those well spent hours of building muscles in your fingers through handwriting.
- Someday your child might be hanging from a cliff and you have to pull them up with your finger tips.
- Climbing ropes takes strong hands and fingers.